Healthy Winter Activities
Maybe it’s cold outside, but that doesn’t mean you have to stay in. In winter months, you can still get outside for some exercise. Just wear clothes that will keep your hands, feet, and head warm, and shoes that won’t slip on patches of ice. If you plan to exercise hard, dress in layers, so you can take something off if you get too warm.
- Ice skate or sled to melt wintertime blues
- Build a snowman or snow fort and build family togetherness
- Window shop when the temperature drops – stay warm by walking inside the mall
- Layer winter wear – wear non-cotton clothing closest to your body and wind-resistant gear on the outside
- Remove layers as you warm up
- Cover hands, heads and feet to keep toasty
- Have lip balm handy to soothe and prevent chapped lips
- Winter sun is nice and bright – wear your sunscreen and sunglasses!
Be winter wise!
- Check with your doctor before you get moving
- Take frequent breaks, and if something hurts, stop!
- Stay hydrated by drinking lots of fluids