Walk it Off
Walk Your Way to Health!
Did you know that walking benefits both your mind and body? In addition to helping you stay at a healthy weight, walking just thirty minutes a day can lower your stress level. It can also raise your spirits and your energy! And, because walking is low-impact — which means it isn’t hard on your body — the risk of getting hurt is low. So, almost anyone can walk daily, and walking is a great low-cost way to spend time with friends and family.
Results within weeks
Walking for at least thirty minutes a day — that’s about 1.5 to 2 miles, depending on your speed — is great for your heart and your waist. Within weeks, you’ll notice your clothes fit better, and you may lose weight. It’s easy to get started — add walking into your day by:
- Walking instead of driving to the place where you are going
- Parking the car further from the door of your apartment, home or office building
- If you take the bus or train to your home or work, getting off a stop earlier
- Taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or using the restroom on another floor
Why spring is the ideal walking season
- It’s not too hot, and not too cold
- Spring flowers!
- Gets you started on healthy behaviors you can keep going all year