Free Rides to Appointments
Getting to Your Healthcare Appointments
Need a ride to a medical appointment?
When you become a member of Well Sense Health Plan, we want to ensure you have rides to and from your covered Medicaid health services when you don’t have another way to get there. This includes appointments for services directly paid for by New Hampshire Medicaid.
Who can get rides?
All Well Sense Health Plan members who require a ride to their covered healthcare service and have no other way to get there.
What types of appointments are available for this benefit?
How do I schedule a ride?
Call us at 844-909-RIDE (844-909-7433) before your appointment. You must call at least 48 hours in advance. If you call with less notice and the trip is not urgent, we may not be able to set up your ride. We schedule routine trips Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Please have the following information ready when you call:
If there is more than one member of your household travelling to the same location, please note that only one member reimbursement will be approved.
Can I schedule more than one trip at a time?
Yes. Just let us know that you have more than one trip to schedule. You can also schedule recurring trips.
What if my appointment is urgent?
If your appointment is urgent, we can set up your ride with less than 48 hours’ notice. An urgent request is considered to be any illness or injury that requires immediate treatment to prevent a serious decline in your health. This may include a hospital discharge.
Well Sense does not schedule emergency transportation. Emergency transportation requires medical care during the trip. Call 911 immediately if you have an emergency.
How does Well Sense decide what kind of ride I need?
You will receive the level of transportation that is most appropriate for your medical condition. We may consult your health care provider. Based on your needs, we may offer you:
- Mileage reimbursement if you, a friend, or family member can drive to the appointment
- Fixed route public transit reimbursement
- Sedan, van, or taxi services
- Vehicle services equipped to transport wheelchairs and stretchers
What if I have friends or family members that can drive me?
If you or your family can drive to your Medicaid approved visit, please follow the below steps:
- Call 844-909-7433 at least 48 hours before the day of service to obtain a trip number
- Please download and fill out the Family and Friends Ride Reimbursement Form. If access to a computer is not available, please call 844-909-7433 to request it be mailed to your home. Take the form with you to your appointment and have a healthcare professional sign it at the time of the appointment
- The form must be submitted within 30 calendar days of your appointment and can be mailed to:
c/o One Call Ride Request
Attn: Mileage Reimbursement
Elk Grove Village, IL 60009-0896
Or faxed to: 1-877-674-7588
A Family and Friends Ride Reimbursement Form must be provided for all trips taken and submitted no later than 30 days from the date of service. Failure to submit the form on time will result in a denial of payment
- Payment will be issued within 30 days of receipt and approval of a completed form. Gas mileage is reimbursed at the standard rate determined by the IRS which is currently $0.41 per mile.
We can pay you, your friends, or a family member for mileage if you have no other way to get yourself to an appointment. We can also:
- Pay you to use public transportation
- Arrange for a taxi, when other options are not available
- Arrange for a specialty vehicle when needed, such as a wheelchair van or ambulance
Note: Reimbursement will only be allowed from the address that we have on file for you. You must pre-schedule your trip and submit completed reimbursement form within 30 days from the date of your appointment.
What do I do once my ride is set up?
- Be ready for your ride at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time. The driver will only wait for you for 15 minutes.
- If you scheduled a ride back, your driver should pick you up less than 30 minutes after your visit is over. Call 844-909-7433 if your driver is late or does not pick you up.
- If your visit is over and you did not schedule a ride back, call 844-909-7433. The driver should arrive in less than three hours. Call us back if you have waited longer.
How do I cancel or reschedule my ride?
Call us at 844-909-7433 if you need to cancel your trip or make any changes.
What do I do if my ride is late?
Call us at 844-909-7433 if you:
- Have waited more than 15 minutes after the pick-up time scheduled during the original ride request
- Have waited more than one hour after calling us to schedule a return ride, if a return ride was not scheduled during the original request
Can I request a certain transportation provider?
We will make every effort to accommodate your request for a certain transportation provider, however, we are not always able to guarantee your provider of choice. When you call to book your trip, please let us know if you have any provider preferences.
What are my rights and protections?
As a Well Sense member, you have the following rights:
- The right to confidentiality with regard to your personal and medical information
- The right to be treated with respect and with recognition of your dignity
- The right to courteous and prompt service when booking your trips
- The right to an explanation as to why we may need more information or why a trip is denied
- To have interpreter services provided to you, if requested in advance.
- The right to refuse treatment and/or services
- The right to voice a complaint, file a grievance, or an appeal
- The right to request program information
- The right to know and receive all of the benefits, services, rights, and responsibilities you have under your health plan
- The right to receive services from our drivers without regard to race, age, gender, sexual preference, national origin, religion, health status, economic status, or physical disabilities. Our providers are not permitted to engage in any practice that constitutes unlawful discrimination against members under any state or federal laws and/or regulations
How do I file a complaint or formal grievance about Well Sense’s transportation services?
If you are not satisfied with any part of your experience with us, including your driver, you may contact us at 844-909-7433 to voice your concerns. You may also contact Well Sense’s main office immediately should you not be satisfied with any of your transportation services or would like to file a formal grievance. Please see below for instructions on how to file a formal grievance with Well Sense Health Plan either verbally or in writing.
Instructions for how to submit a formal grievance or appeal:
If you want to submit an appeal or formal grievance to Well Sense Health Plan over the telephone, please call Member Services at 1-877-957-1300 or 711 (TTY/TDD) Monday – Wednesday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. or Thursday through Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (except holidays). Appeals must be filed within 60 calendar days of the date on your initial denial notice. If you want to submit an appeal or formal grievance in writing, you can fax it to 1-617-897-0805 or mail it to:
Well Sense Health Plan
Attn: Member Appeals and Grievances
529 Main Street, Suite 500
Charlestown, MA 02129