Check Twice Before Giving Medicine to Children
When your child is sick, remember these important tips to correctly give medicine:
- Only give your child the medicine that your doctor or pharmacist tells you
- Give your child the correct dose for their age
- Always use the spoon or measuring cup that comes with the medicine; don’t use silverware or a measuring cup from your home
- Keep track of what time it is when you give medicine to your child; be careful not to accidentally give medicine too often
- If you don’t understand how to give your child medicine that is prescribed to them, ask the doctor who gave the prescription or your pharmacist
If you have any questions about giving medicine to your child, or how much medicine your child needs, call our 24/7 Nurse Advice Line. If you think your child has been over-medicated, call 911 right away and contact Poison Control (800-222-1222).